Online Graduate GIS Certificate
Utah State University’s online Geographic Information Science (GIS) certificate is designed for graduate students or professionals wanting skills and experience applying industry standard GIS and remote sensing tools to natural resource issues.
Students who complete the program will receive a graduate-level certificate in Geographic Information Science. Their USU transcript will list the courses and grades received to complete the program. The certificate is complementary to a wide variety of graduate programs, and is available as a standalone certificate. However, credits obtained from the certificate may be applied toward a graduate degree. The certificate may be completed in one year!
All online courses in this certificate program will be taught in English. International students from non-English speaking countries are expected to be able to communicate in English. Students must communicate both orally and in writing, with the instructor as well as other fellow students in class.
For admission to the program please follow the instructions below:
- Applicants go to applynow.usu.edu. Choose the Graduate Application and then the GIS Certificate.
- Applicant must provide an official transcript showing a bachelor's degree or higher has been received. Please send official transcripts to the following address: 0900 Old Main Hill, Logan UT 84322-0900. Official electronic transcripts may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org from the institution. (If you've attended USU, we will obtain your transcripts.)
- Use PROMO code GIS2018 to waive $30 of the application fee.
- Application fee will be $25.00
Director: Shannon Belmont
Program Administrator: Melanie Conrad
Location: Natural Resources 122
Phone: (435) 797-3375
Potential to Complete in 1 Year!
To receive the certificate, a participant must complete the following set of requirements:
- Apply and be accepted into the GIS Certificate Program
- Register for and successfully complete four graduate-level courses
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA for program courses (grades below C will not be accepted)
- Abide by the Code of Policies and Procedures for Students at Utah State University.
Registration Dates and Deadlines
- Tuition costs for out-of-state students is $473 per credit. ($431 tuition + $42 differential tuition per credit for the 2017-2018 school year)
- Tuition costs for in-state students is based on USU's tuition and fees table + $42 differential tuition per credit.
Students must complete four courses (3 credits each) in order to fulfill the requirements for the GIS Certificate. Each course is offered online and the semesters they are offered are listed below:
- NR 6910 – Geographic Information Systems for Natural Resource Applications (syllabus) (fall, spring, summer)
- NR 6930 – Advanced Geographic Information Systems (pre-req: NR 6910 or prior GIS experience) (syllabus) (spring)
- NR 6940 – Principles of Remote Sensing for Natural Resources (syllabus) (fall, spring)
- NR 6950 – Geospatial Analysis with R (pre-req: NR 6910 or prior GIS experience) (syllabus) (spring)
- NR 6900 - GST: Python Programming for GIS (fall)
Logan campus students may take the following on-campus courses to use as substitutes:
- WATS 6920 – Adv. GIS & Spatial Analysis (spring)
- WILD 6750 – Applied Remote Sensing (fall)
- GEOG 6870 - Geospatial Analysis with R (spring)