Skip to main content

Future Students

The department offers opportunities for graduate study through the MS, Ph.D, and graduate certificate programs listed below. Application occurs through the USU Graduate School. We no longer require submission of GRE scores for application to any of our graduate programs. Applicants may submit GRE scores if they think such evidence is important to their case for admission.

The Department has a small number of application fee waivers available each year for graduate program applicants for whom the $55 application fee would present significant financial hardship. Fee waivers are awarded to applicants with confirmed interest from major professors, with preference for diversity applicants from the U.S., or applicants from other countries already in the US or with approved visas. If you think you qualify for an application fee waiver, please email your intended major professor (with cc to to request a waiver. Fee waivers are awarded on a rolling basis until expended for the year.

Graduate Programs Offered:


For the Ph.D. degree, there is a more variable amount of required coursework, as well as a research dissertation.  Compared to the MS degree, the Ph.D. degree has a greater emphasis on theory, research methods, writing research proposals, and publishing research in peer reviewed outlets.

Environment and Society

M.S. Programs

student survey

The MS degree requires a minimum of 30 credits, of which 24 must be in residence.   There are two options available in the MS:  The Plan A requires students to complete coursework, as well as a research thesis; The Plan B is a nonthesis, terminal degree, based largely on coursework and a professional paper or project.

Environment and Society
Recreation Resource Management

Getting Started:

Additional Information:

If you have any questions about the application process, or if you are a current ENVS graduate student and have questions regarding your current program, please contact Becky Hirst 435-797-3781.