Cite & Write Tips
Citing is the practice of giving credit to the sources that inform your work and to show that you have made credible arguments in your writing. It also helps your readers to easily follow your reasoning back to the primary foundation. Style guides describe the format for listing these sources and are typically pre-determined.
Citation Management Tools are software programs that collect, organize, and structure these sources into bibliographies automatically.
Reference Management Software
Reference management software (also called citation management software or bibliographic management software) is software for students to use for recording and using bibliographic citations. Once a citation has been added, it can be used time and again in generating lists of references for scholarly papers.
- EndNote Web is the package USU has provided to students. Sign up for an account or read more about Endnote Web.
- RefWorks is a online research tool as well as offering the ability to collaborate with peers. Sign-up for an account with RefWorks.
- Zotero creates an easy to use tool bar that makes orgainzing and collecting nearly automatic. Sign-up for an account with Zotero.
- Two other popular choices are EasyBib and Mendeley.
Citation Style Guides
A "citation style" is simply the way the citation looks. The style dictates what information is necessary and how that information is ordered and formatted. Different disciplines will use different styles. APA is typically used by education, psychology, and the sciences while MLA is used more for the humanities. Your instructor will inform you which style you need to follow.
- APA (American Psychology Association) Style rules can be found at Purdue OWL: APA Formatting Guide.
- MLA (Modern Language Association) Style rules can be found Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting Guide.
The Online Writing Lab at Purdue University will assist you in nearly every aspect of your writing assignment.
Don't Forget Your Grammar
Correct grammar in your writing can make all the difference to help readers understand what you need to say. Visit Purdue OWL: Grammar to see topics from nouns and articles to verbs and adverbs. This librarian recommends Grammarly. Grammarly is a cloud-based English language writing enhansement platform that wil proofread your writing and automatically detect potential grammar, spelling, punctuation, word choice, and style mistakes.