Tracy Aviary Nature Center Environmental Education
Tracy Aviary - USU Internship (May – August) - Nature Center Education Intern
Join Tracy Aviary’s education team! In May – August 2022, we are offering two part-time internships that will provide on-the-ground experience in science communication and environmental education by supporting educational programming at Tracy Aviary’s Jordan River Nature Center. The Nature Center Education Interns will report to the Nature Center Manager and will work closely with the Community Programs Coordinator.
- Start Date: Thursday, May 26, 2022
- End Date: Sunday, August 21, 2022
- Schedule: 20hr/week, Thursday-Sunday. Rotating shifts. Evening work will be required.
Salary: $12.50 an hour, 20 hours a week, for 12 weeks
Location: City of South Salt Lake
Housing: Not provided
Closing Date: April 20, 2022
To Apply: Send resumes and cover letter to Anne Terry, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assist with onsite and off-site programming, such as family nature programs, bird identification classes, garden tours, and more
- Provide assistance to guests of the Nature Center, including communicating the mission and vision of the Nature Center
- Provide site interpretation, which includes communicating with guests about local ecology, natural wonders, and animal behavior (especially birds)
- Produce a research project on a relevant topic, such as local ecology, science communication methods, etc.
- Assist with site operations, such as opening and closing the Nature Center
- Administer evaluation instruments such as surveys to improve program quality and effectiveness
- Prepare for and attend mentor meetings with supervisor
- Co-facilitating on-site and off-site programs 25%
- Guest assistance 20%
- Site interpretation 20%
- Intern Research Project 15%
- Operations assistance 10%
- Program evaluation 5%
- Mentor meetings 5%
Studies have shown that women, non-binary folks, and Black, Indigenous, and People of Color are much less likely to apply for a position unless they feel they meet every qualification as described. We are committed to finding the best overall candidate and welcome candidates who may come from less traditional backgrounds. Please think about the breadth of your life experience when considering the following list of qualifications:
- Background or demonstrated interest in science communication and/or environmental education
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience interacting with members of the public
- Knowledge of and commitment to justice, equity, accessibility, and inclusion in the community and workplace
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required
About our Team:
Tracy Aviary’s Education Department welcomes and empowers all people so that they may grow their sense of place and purpose within their communities and the natural world.
We use the following guiding principles in order to operate at our best:
- Be innovative. We reimagine ways to improve everything we do. We use fresh eyes to bring in new ideas and challenge old ideas, so we can grow and change for the better.
- Be collaborative. We are flexible and open to working with others. We provide a safe place to try new things by making sure everyone feels seen and heard.
- Be committed. We are trusting of others and worthy of trust in return. We go all in!
- Be a mentor. We inspire others by providing insight in an inviting and humanizing way. Everyone we interact with feels a sense of belonging so that they can expand their horizons and find a new passion.
About Tracy Aviary’s Jordan River Nature Center:
Tracy Aviary’s Jordan River Nature Center opened in 2020 as a second campus for Tracy Aviary and Botanical Garden. These two locations share one mission: to inspire curiosity and caring for birds and nature through conservation and education. The Jordan River Nature Center specifically focuses on equipping and empowering community members to become environmental stewards. The Nature Center allows us to meet folks in the heart of their neighborhoods and near the banks of the Jordan River, an important urban wildlife habitat and recreational hub. The Nature Center is currently in Phase 1 of construction and sits on a 0.25 acre lot. Phase 2 of construction will begin Summer 2022 and will expand the Nature Center by 8-12 acres. We are building up our programming and community following, and new team members are needed to ensure our success!