Tracy Aviary Conservation
Tracy Aviary Conservation Intern (May - August)
Tracy Aviary’s Conservation Science Program helps conserve birds and their habitats through community science. Focusing on key local habitats and pressing regional conservation issues, our goals are to gather novel information about local avian ecology, inform habitat restoration and stewardship, and engage a diverse community in scientific data collection. In May – August, we are offering an internship that will provide on-the-ground experience in conservation science. The intern will support general Conservation community science projects and events at the Jordan River Nature Center in South Salt Lake.
- Support the generation of outreach and educational material to recruit participants for our Birds & Beavers project
- Compile and manage beaver activity data submitted by community scientists.
- Help lead bilingual (English/Spanish) weekly Beaver Walks to search for beaver activity and sign in the areas around the Jordan River Nature Center and other key locations along the Jordan River.
- Data entry for our multiple community science projects
- Lead owl/songbird nest box surveys at field sites at Alta
- Assist with staffing and events at the Jordan River Nature Center
- Assist in other duties related to Tracy Aviary’s Conservation Science Program as needed
- Background and/or demonstrated experience in biology or ecology
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience working with volunteers/members of the public
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Experience with data entry and analysis preferred
- Salary: $15 an hour, 20 hours a week for 12 weeks (part-time summer position)
Location: Salt Lake City
Housing: Not provided
Closing Date: Application closing date is March 27, 2023.