United States Forest Service (USFS) Timber Crew - 8 Positions
Locations: Heber-Camas District and Evanston-Mountain District
This position is established to perform presale duties including timber marking, following a map and compass or GPS, and basic tree measurements.
- Selects and marks individual trees for harvest using well defined marking guidelines, silvicultural prescriptions, and specific instruction.
- Estimates individual tree volume by gathering tree measurements using established methods.
- Navigates through harvest units using a map and compass or a GPS, processes information and produces maps.
- Designates sale area and cutting unit boundaries on the ground.
- Interprets Aerial Photos and locates ground features.
- For timber cruising, serves as tally person and may operate electronic field data recorders. Assists in the measure of limiting distances, tree diameter, tree height, estimation of defect and quality, and related fundamental timber cruising procedures. Timber cruising is done under the direct supervision of a qualified timber cruiser.
- Observes and reports areas of possible archeological significance, and sightings of sensitive, threatened or endangered wildlife species.
- Participates in other aspects of resource management support work such as recreation, maintenance, silviculture, tree planting, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Salary: $15 an hour, 40 hours a week for 12 weeks. Optional opportunity for 10 hours a week of overtime per week.
Location: These positions will be in Bear River, UT. and Heber, UT. Housing will be provided and overnight stay may vary depending on location of work site.
Housing: Provided; Location of overnight stay may vary depending on location of the work site. Depending on project location, lodging may be at Bear River, UT., or Heber, UT.
Closing Date: March 1, 2023 and open until all positions are filled.
Start Date: June 5, 2023
The first round of interviews will take place on Jan. 25 at the QCNR job fair. To reserve an interview time stop by the NR advising center, NR 120.