Skip to main content

Overview of Wildland Resources' Graduate Programs

Welcome to the Wildland Resources Department website. The Department offers opportunities for graduate study through the MS and PhD programs listed below.

Graduate Programs Offered:

MS & PhD Programs

For the PhD degree, there is a more variable amount of required coursework, as well as a research dissertation. Compared to the MS degree, the PhD degree has a greater emphasis on theory, research methods, writing research proposals, and publishing research in peer reviewed outlets. The MS degree requires a minimum of 30 credits, of which 24 must be in residence. There are two options available in the MS. The Plan A requires students to complete coursework, as well as a research thesis. The Plan B is a nonthesis, terminal degree, based largely on coursework and a professional paper or project.

Ecology (MS, PhD)
Forestry (MS, PhD)
Range Science (MS, PhD)
Wildlife Biology (MS, PhD)

Graduate Specializations:

MS & PhD Ecology - Conservation Biology, Forest Ecology, Wildlife Ecology
MS & PhD in Range Science - Range Animal Nutrition, Range Management
MS & PhD in Wildlife Biology - Wildlife Management

Master of Natural Resources (MNR)

How do I apply for admission?
How much will I pay in tuition and fees?

Faculty in the Wildland Resources Department who advise graduate students are listed. If you have any additional questions about our graduate program please contact our graduate coordinator, Marsha Bailey at 435-797-2503 or complete the contact information form.