Skip to main content

Overview of Wildland Resource's Graduate Programs

 Welcome to the Wildland Resources Department website. Thank you for your interest in the graduate program at Utah State University. The Department offers opportunities for graduate study through the MS and PhD programs listed below.

Graduate Programs Offered:

MS & PhD Programs

For the PhD degree, there is a more variable amount of required coursework, as well as a research dissertation. Compared to the MS degree, the PhD degree has a greater emphasis on theory, research methods, writing research proposals, and publishing research in peer reviewed outlets. The MS degree requires a minimum of 30 credits, of which 24 must be in residence. There are two options available in the MS. The Plan A requires students to complete coursework, as well as a research thesis. The Plan B is a nonthesis, terminal degree, based largely on coursework and a professional paper or project.

Ecology (MS, PhD)
Forestry (MS, PhD)
Range Science (MS, PhD)
Wildlife Biology (MS, PhD)

Graduate Specializations:

MS & PhD Ecology - Conservation Biology, Wildlife Ecology, Forest Ecology
MS & PhD in Range Science - Range Animal Nutrition, Range Management
MS & PhD in Wildlife Biology - Wildlife Management

Master of Natural Resources (MNR)

How do I apply for admission?
How much will I pay in tuition and fees?

The Wildland Resources Department has a large faculty. However, not all of our faculty members have current, active graduate programs. This faculty list provides a listing of faculty members who could serve as major advisors for students. I strongly encourage you to contact specific faculty members for a possible advisor. If you have any additional questions about the application process or our graduate program, please contact our graduate coordinator, Marsha Bailey at 435-797-2503 or complete the contact information form.

I look forward to seeing you at Utah State University.

Michael R. Kuhns
Department Head and Professor